- Very honored that the following four papers won Best Paper Honorable Mention awards:
- Symbiotic Encounters: HCI and Sustainable Agriculture (ACM CHI2019)
- Smart and Fermented Cities: An Approach to Placemaking in Urban Informatics (ACM CHI2019)
- Decomposition as Design: Co-Creating (with) Natureculture. (ACM TEI2019)
- The Innovation Ecology: Collaborative Information, Community Support, and Policy in A Creative Technology Community (iConference 2019)
- I am charing ACM DIS2019 with Steve Harrison.
- I am charing the Doctoral Consortium at ACM CSCW2019 with Bryan Semaan
- Excited about sharing our work on menopause and women’s health at the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam in the week-long conference on “Taking a walk on the wild side: Fabulating alternative imaginaries in art and life.”
- Super excited to edit the TOCHI special issue, “HCI and the Body: Reimagining Women’s Health” with the fabulous and formidable Madeline Balaam, Lone Koefoed Hansen, and Teresa Almeida!
- Four papers accepted to ACM CHI2019!
- I have been promoted to [Full] Professor!!!
- I am very honored to be the recipient of the ACM CHI 2018 Diversity Champion Recognition Award, in the Trailblazer category. This category “recognizes individuals who have made innovative and groundbreaking efforts to counter unjust social practices, foster equitable communities, and effectively promote values of diversity and inclusion through their work.”
- Our book on Critical Theory and Interaction Design is finally out!! Check out the description and review on the MIT Press website.
- Along with Jeffrey Bardzell and our PhD student Trisha Zdziarska, we are awarded a Toyota Foundation grant to study multicultural innovation in Indiana.
- I am team-teaching a week-long summer school in June with Jeff Bardzell on Humanistic HCI at University of Oulu, Finland! Come join us!
- I will be giving a talk in May at the Critical by Design conference in Basel sponsored by the Academy of Art and Design FHNW.
- Very honored that our paper “Bottom-up imaginaries: The cultural-technical practice of inventing regional advantage through IT R&D” won a Best Paper Honorable Mention award at ACM CHI2018!
- I did a talk on “Making’s utopian promises” at IU’s School of Education as part of the CRLT & Jacobs Chair Speaker Series.
- I recently did a joint talk with Jeff Bardzell on “Humanistic contribution to IT research field” as part of the Wells Distinguished Lecture Series sponsored by the Institute for Advanced Study at Indiana University. I was especially touched to see so many of our former professors from the Department of Comparative Literature as well as current colleagues and students from Informatics.
- New publications: A HCI journal article on a 9-month critical design deployment that examines the intersection of personal informatics, anxiety, and material interaction; a CSCW2017 paper on an empirical investigation of policy-design entanglements, using the 2010 Taipei International Flora Expo (TIFE) as a case to explore urban informatics/social computing issues; a CHI2017 paper on cohabitation and posthumanism; another full paper on Supporting Cultures of Making: Technology, Policy, Visions, and Myths that won a Honorable Mention award at CHI2017!
- Very pleased to be on the social justice and design panel at CSCW2017 to advocate the need to understand, teach, strengthen, and reward the epistemology of hope.
- Very pleased about the publication of “Reconstituting the Utopian Vision of Making: HCI after Technosolutionism,” with Jeffrey Bardzell and Silvia Lindtner. This is the first collaborative papers based on our NSF-funded research on making and economic pathways and is grounded on my ongoing research on feminist utopian futuring. Best yet, it won a Honorable Mention award at ACM CHI2016!
- The special issue “Feminism and (Un)Hacking” for Journal of Peer Production I co-edited with Lilly Nguyen, Sophie Toupin are available now!
- Having been quite busy this year organizing various workshops and panels at 4S/EASST, PDC, DIS, CHI on topics ranging from making/DIY, fabrication, industrial production, to documenting research through design processes, social justice among others.
- Two invited encyclopedia entries on “feminist design and computing” and “technosexuality” have been published for Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies.
- Very honored to participate in the Design and Social Innovation in Asia‐Pacific (DESIAP) 2016, especially co-moderating a panel on “Values, Outcomes, and Change” with Ann Light!
- Jeffrey and I gave a series of presentations on “Humanistic HCI as an Approach to Critical Computing” at University of Oslo in Olso, Norway, KTH in Stockholm, Sweden, and Aarhus University, Denmark between October and December. These talks were based on our new book, Humanistic HCI.
- Participated in the 3-day workshop on Rethinking Technology Innovation in Salzburg, Austria
- Invited talk at PIT at Aarhus University on utopian hermeneutics.
- Sabbatical at PIT at Aarhus University, Denmark!!
- Super excited about a NSF award with the fabulous Silvia Lindtner on making and economic pathways. See press release here.
- Very pleased about the publication of two papers theorizing the notion of subjectivities of information: The TOCHI journal article “Sustainable Making? Balancing Optimizing and Criticism” (with David Roedl and Jeffrey Bardzell) and “The User Reconfigured: On Subjectivities of Information” (with Jeffrey Bardzell) at the fifth decennial Aarhus conference on Critical Alternatives.
- I have been awarded another grant by the Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange to study entrepreneurial, manufacturing, educational, and civic forms of making.
- I received two Honorable Mention Awards at CHI2015: One for the work on research through design and knowledge production and the other on care ethics and cultures of making. See the press release. Our research lab, CRIT, was honored with a total of 3 Honorable Mention Awards at CHI2015.
- I have been awarded a Mellon Innovating International Research, Teaching, and Collaboration award from the Mellon Foundation. See the press release.
- I am chairing the Technical Program of Aarhus 2015 (Conference theme: Critical Alternatives), along with Ole Iversen.
- I gave an invited talk at Stanford’s Seminar on People, Computers, and Design on Utopias of Participation: Working towards Emancipatory Forms of Computing in Nov 2014.
- I gave a keynote address at the 2014 Participatory Design Conference in Windhoek, Namibia in Oct 2014.
- I chaired the Technical Program of ACM DIS2014, along with Carman Neustaedter and Eric Paulos.
- I gave a keynote address at Virginia Tech’s annual Gender, Body, and Technology conference in May 2014.
- I was awarded a Trustees Teaching Award at Indiana University.
- I organized the 2014 Making Subjects conference with Jeffrey Bardzell in March 2014, the capstone of our NSF IIS CreativeIT grant, and is a part of the Intel ISTC-Social Computing program.
- My paper (with Austin Toombs and Jeffrey Bardzell), “Now That’s Definitely a Proper Hack”: Self-Made Tools in Hackerspaces received the Honorable Mention award at ACM CHI2014.
- My paper (with Shad Gross and Jeffrey Bardzell), Skeu the Evolution: Skeumorphs, Styles, and the Material of Tangible Interactions, received the Honorable Mention award at ACM TEI2014.
- I was invited to give a talk at SummerPIT at Aarhus University’s Participatory Information Technology Center in Denmark in August.
- I co-chaired the Technical Program of Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces (DPPI) 2013 with Jeffrey Bardzell.
- My paper (with Jeffrey Bardzell), What is Critical about Critical Design, won the Best Paper Award at CHI2013.
- I was a panelist at the Exploring the Representation of Women and Minority Perspectives in Technologies panel at CHI2013.
- I gave a keynote speech at the Barnard Center for Research on Women‘s 38th annual Scholar and Feminist Conference at Barnard College, Columbia University.
- I was invited to give a talk on “Critical Thinking through (and about) Critical Design” at Intel Corporation in March.
- I, along with Jeffrey Bardzell and Erik Stolterman, received over $1.85 million in July 2012 to create the Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Computing at Indiana University. The IU team is part of a $12.5 million research center composed of faculty from UC-Irvine, Cornell University, Georgia Tech, and New York University in an exploration of information technology and digital media as a social and cultural phenomena.
- I am an associate chair for CSCW2012 and an associate chair for the Design sub-committee at CHI2012.
- I was invited to speak at CMU’s HCII Seminar Series in Nov on the topic of feminist HCI.
- The special issue of Interacting with Computers (Elsevier) I co-edited with Elizabeth Churchill on “Feminism and HCI: New Perspectives” has been published. The special issue is Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 385-449, and can be accessed here.
- Jeff and my CHI 2011 paper, “‘Pleasure is Your Birthright’: Digitally Enabled Designer Sex Toys as a Case of Third-Wave HCI,” was featured in MIT’s Technology Review blog.
- I am now on the editorial board of Interacting with Computers.
- My student, Katie O’Donnell, has been awarded a highly competitive, 3-year Graduate Research Fellowship by NSF. A big congratulations to Katie! Read the press release.
- I am organizing the Second International Symposium on Culture, Creativity, and Interaction Design (CCID2) with Ann Light, Jeffrey Bardzell, and Mark Blythe. Please consider submitting to the 2-day symposium (July 4-5, 2011, Northumbria University, UK).
- My students Anna Eaglin, Matt Edward, Ammar Halabi, Dan Richert, and Marisol Villacres will present their MS Capstone and Tabletop design research at CHI2011 Work-in-Progress.
- My PhD student Gopi Kannabiran will present a full paper on human sexuality and interaction design at CHI2011.
- My colleague Jeffrey Bardzell and I have been awarded a NSF grant through the Creative IT program to study massively amateur creativity. Here is the press release!
- I am speaking at the annual Grace Hopper Women in Computing 2010 Conference in Atlanta as part of the “New Voices in Human-Computer Interaction” program.
- My paper, “Feminist HCI: Taking Stock and Outlining an Agenda for Design,” won the Best Paper Award at CHI 2010.
- See my interview in interactions magazine, entitled, “The Lens of Feminist HCI in the Context of Sustainable Interaction Design.”
- I am co-editing a special issue on feminism and HCI for Interacting with Computers, due out May 2011. See the CFP.
- In March 2010, I received the WIC Informatics Graduate Faculty of the Year Award in recognition for exceptional commitment and dedication to female students in the School of Informatics and Computing.
- I am giving a keynote address at the Celebrating Women In Computing Banquet at the IU School of Informatics and Computing